Seventy-six percent of vets treated dogs for toxic ingestion last Christmas - Veterinary Practice
Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now

×

Seventy-six percent of vets treated dogs for toxic ingestion last Christmas

Four in five companion animal vets saw at least one case of toxic ingestion last Christmas and 27 percent saw cases of toxic ingestion in cats

Mat Hayward

New research from the British Veterinary Association (BVA) reveals four in five companion animal vets saw at least one case of toxic ingestion over the 2021 Christmas period.  

New Voice of the Veterinary Profession research shows that thousands of vets treated dogs for toxic ingestion last Christmas season, with 76 percent seeing cases of chocolate poisoning and 69 percent seeing dogs taken unwell after easing raisins or sultanas.

Around a fifth (19 percent) reported seeing cases caused by the artificial sweetener Xylitol.

Foreign body ingestion in dogs was also common over the 2021 festive period.

Gifts for humans, including small parts of children’s toys, were the most common cause (14 percent).

Consumption of Christmas decorations and gifts for pets (12 percent) and wrapping (5 percent) were also highlighted by vets as causing issues.

More than a quarter of vets (27 percent) also saw cases of toxic ingestion in cats.

Cats were most likely to have ingested non-food items such as seasonal plants like holly or mistletoe (reported by 18 percent of vets) or antifreeze (7 percent).

Thirteen percent of vets saw cats with foreign body ingestion, including 7 percent seeing cases caused by Christmas decorations and 3 percent by wrapping.

e Foundation’s free Pets and Poisons leaflet.

Have you heard about our
IVP Membership?

A wide range of veterinary CPD and resources by leading veterinary professionals.

Stress-free CPD tracking and certification, you’ll wonder how you coped without it.

Discover more