As you doubtless know, grooming and maintaining animals’ coats is a crucial skill to possess in veterinary practice, whether it’s preparing for surgery or cannula insertion, or general maintenance to help improve overall health and well-being. But it’s a skill in which you excel when it is performed with proper, high-quality equipment.
Professionals rely on various tools to achieve a thorough groom, with clippers and trimmers among the most essential. While these tools may seem similar, they serve distinct purposes and are used in specific situations to ensure the comfort and health of the animals. In this article, we will dive into the difference between clippers and trimmers and when to appropriately use them.
Get up to 15 percent off on selected clippers and trimmers this September!
Clippers: tackling heavy coats and bulk removal
Clippers are heavy-duty tools designed to trim and remove substantial amounts of fur or hair quickly. They are equipped with powerful motors and wide blades that are ideal for handling large areas and dense coats.
Clippers are commonly used to shave animals with thick, matted or excessively long coats, such as dogs, cats and even livestock like sheep and horses.
When to use clippers:
- Matting and tangles: clippers are invaluable for dealing with severe matting and tangling in an animal’s coat. Matting can cause discomfort, skin irritation and even skin infections. Clippers can efficiently cut through mats and tangles, providing relief to the animal
- Shaving for surgery preparation: veterinarians often shave specific areas of an animal’s body before performing surgical procedures. Clippers make this process quick and efficient, ensuring a clean surgical site ready for sterilisation
Trimmers: precision and detailed work
Trimmers, on the other hand, are lightweight and manoeuvrable tools designed for precision work. They have narrower blades meant for detailing specific areas, such as paws, ears and faces.
Trimmers are an excellent choice for achieving neat, clean lines and can be less intimidating for animals due to their smaller size and quieter operation.
When to use trimmers:
- Face and ears: trimmers are perfect for shaping and tidying up fur on the face, particularly around sensitive areas like the eyes, ears and nose. Their precision ensures that these areas are trimmed with minimal risk of accidental injury
- Paw pad maintenance: the hair between an animal’s paw pads can grow excessively and trap debris, leading to discomfort and potential infections. Trimmers are ideal for keeping this area neat and hygienic
What should I consider when choosing the right tool?
When deciding between clippers and trimmers, several factors should be considered:
- The animal’s coat type: consider the thickness, length and condition of the coat. Clippers are suitable for heavy-duty work on thick coats, while trimmers are better for fine detailing and touch-ups
- The animal’s sensitivity: some animals may be sensitive to the noise and vibrations of clippers. In such cases, a trimmer’s quieter operation might be more comfortable for the animal
- Your grooming goals: determine the desired outcome of the grooming. Clippers are the way to go if it’s a complete shave or tackling severe matting. For precise touch-ups or delicate areas, trimmers are the better choice
- Your skill level: trimmers require a steadier hand and more precision, making them suitable for experienced groomers. Clippers, while still requiring skill, are generally easier to handle for bulk removal
|Remember, it is important to use the right tool for the job. For example, avoid using a trimmer for bulk hair removal as this can cause blade clogging and premature dulling. Or, vice versa, avoid using a clipper for the delicate, more intricate areas to minimise the risk of dissatisfying results and avoidable injuries.|
In conclusion, clippers and trimmers are indispensable tools for maintaining the health and appearance of animals’ coats, as well as being vital for thorough surgery preparation. While both serve unique purposes, understanding their differences and knowing when to use each one is crucial for ensuring the comfort and safety of the animals. Whether it’s the heavy-duty power of clippers or the precision of trimmers, the right tool in the right hands will contribute to the overall health and well-being of your patients.
At J.A.K Marketing, we offer expert clipper and trimmer blade sharpening and servicing for an array of blade brands such as Oster, Aesculap, Andis, Heineger, Hauptner and Wahl. One of our professional technicians will clean, service, sharpen and test your practice’s blades. We provide a fast turnaround service at a competitive, affordable rate. Revive your blades and give them a second life. For more information, visit our website.